Spring has sprung and the clocks have leapt ahead an hour. That means there is more sunlight to flood your room as the alarm clock starts calling. Do you rise from bed looking forward to your day, or smack the clock, mutter a silent oath and wish you had another hour?
Morning sets the tone for the day. With a few minor tweaks, it is possible to transform your morning into a powerful and energizing experience. Consider these tips from productivity experts:
- Go to bed at the same time each night. Even minor fluctuations can feel like a major jetlag in the morning. Training our sleep schedules into a regular routine makes it easier to rise in the morning.
- Plan out your clothes and lunch the night before. Curbing the number of decisions you need to make first thing in the morning can help save brain power for the day ahead and give your brain a chance to wake up slowly without the stress of multiple decisions.
- Meditate. Just 20 minutes daily can improve concentration, information retention, and stress levels. Focus on something positive. Make a mental list of things to be grateful for. Training the brain to focus on the positive will ensure that over time you develop a more positive outlook overall. Even setbacks can be seen as opportunities for growth.
- Don’t skip breakfast. If you haven’t time to sit and eat then blend up one of the wonderful smoothies you can find by the hundreds online the night before and take it with you to drink on your way or at work. You’ve got to give your brain fuel after an all-night fast or you can expect yourself to be clumsy and slow.
- Take the time to smell the roses. Okay, it might be a little early for roses but on the mad dash from the front door to your destination take a moment to stop and breathe deeply. Breathe in slowly for a count of 10 and then out for a count of 10. This opportunity to reconnect with the much larger world around you will remind you not to sweat the small stuff as well as boosting oxygen levels to get your creative juices flowing.
With a little practice we can turn mornings into the best part of the day and as you transform your morning, your morning will transform you!