By now we have all heard more than we want to about COVID-19.
It is important to remember that the overall risk to Ontarians remains low.
The constant media attention can make us feel overwhelmed but it is important to keep in mind that we still have some control over our situation.
What You Can Do
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer as a second best option.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose as much as possible.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow, not your hands. Wash hands after coughing and sneezing.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, including a healthy diet, exercise, and enough sleep, to enhance your body’s immune system.
- Take the time to express gratitude for those wonderful public health workers who are working tirelessly to keep us and our loved ones healthy now and always. Keep their stress to a minimum.
If you have any concerns that you may be infected, please by-pass your MD’s office and call Peel Public Health directly at 905-799-7700 or for residents of Caledon, 905-584-2216.
- Manage your anxiety! Panic and stress short-circuit the brain. Journal, reach out to friends and loved ones via FaceTime, read the books you’ve been meaning to get to, limit your media exposure only to reputable sources, listen to music… LOUD and dance or exercise at home.
- Behave not as though you don’t want to get sick, rather as though you are sick and don’t want to infect others. This creates a kind, thoughtful, positive, outward-looking attitude rather than a fearful, selfish, reactionary one.
- If you have travelled to, or have been in close contact with someone who has travelled to, hot spot areas, please postpone your appointments with us for the recommended 14 days. Thank you for helping us provide care for our patients with suppressed immune systems.
- Small acts of kindness go a long way. You are more powerful than you think. A call, e-mail, delivering food or medication, even a cheerful smile and a wave can make a big difference.
Society has been challenged before and has prevailed and become stronger, more innovative, and more vibrant thereafter. This will be the same.
Here at ADVANCE we take the transmission of all illnesses seriously.
In light of the concerns surrounding the COVID-19 virus we are continuing to:
- be extra vigilant with hand washing
- disinfect tables between patients
and we have begun to:
- disinfect the debit machine between patients
Your help keeping us all healthy is appreciated. There are boxes of Kleenexes in every room. Please use these to cough or sneeze into and feel free to use our sinks to wash your hands!
With all of us working together, we know we will get through this unscathed… and in the meantime, payment in toilet paper is appreciated.